- Believe it or not that the most effective people in managerial work are those who tend to bend the stereotype of managerial behavior?
- Many brilliant, experienced, industrious some are really promising persons have been trying to do what they think the best, in fact few of them have the quality of leadership that we need in business undertakings, in government, in not-for profit, in any walks of life.
- In the global competition, a leader is no longer the one whose style of leadership is overshadowed, it is not a matter of style. It is the quality of leadership itself neither doing trivial things or focusing on pragmatic behavior.
- Most organizations neglect the leadership talents among their staff offering irrelevant education and responsibilities and punish them who make small mistakes when they are trying to exercise the leadership.
- Most people talk much about ‘leadership’ yet they are actually explain about ‘management’. They speak about how to lead the organization, yet they actually do the clerical works that do not need the quality of a leader.
- Leadership is different from management, and the ultimate stimulant of effective change is leadership, not management.
- Management tends to work in formal – hierarchical environment whereas leaders go across organization’s border, find outsourcing resources which demands the increasing need for the quality of leadership for establishing a wider and complicated organization network.
- Therefore the more complex the interdependence among those who are managers and those who are managers and those who have the quality of leadership in one organization, managers are demanded to establish a game of interdependence rather than playing the instructional role as it was in the past.
Tips to exercise effective leadership
- Create a sense of urgency
- Establish excellent team work
- Create proper vision
- Communicate the new vision in all organizational levels
- Empower and drive all personnel to meet the vision
- Provide short term outputs that increase their credibility in addition to eliminate the arrogance of those who are fond of criticizing or mocking
- Create the right momentum and use that momentum to deal with necessary changes and
- Create a new attitude in organizational behavior.
(Source: What Leaders Really do, John)