Those who care will gain the respect
- People do not pay attention on what you know, unless they know how you care
- For others. Communicate your care to others, then you can ask them to do something for you. People give response someone is sincere. It does not mean that you give something. It really means that you have your personal interests so that you treat them well.
- They are not robots. They have feelings, they want to get appreciation, get respect. If You treat them like robots, you may probably get some output, but you never get maximum creativity or something that can change your organization. If you treat your people unfair, their unhappiness will be reflected in the way they do their jobs.
- Yet, one reminder that sincere is everything. It will be worse if you pretend to be sincere.
Your people are able to ‘read’ you. If you are not sincere, they do not only think that You don’t care, but you are trying to cheat them. You gain no respect from them.
Mind You – For most people, it is just a work!
- You seem to hire your people’s behavior, not their soul. You have the right to claim for productive and professional work in the office. But, do not expect them to do like you do after office hours.
- Don’t expect your people to have the equal devotion like you do to your work.
- The reason is so simple : You are the boss and you see work from different perspectives. Only few people want to be in management. Support them well, yet mind you that only few people are exceptional.
- The problem will arise when a boss wishes to work over time (as he does) ; goes home late and carries work home (as he does), get aside personal interests and families (as he does) ; as work is the center of his life (most management think that work is everything).
- Managers and leaders should act as model, yet there is a clear distinction between.
Between a role model and a hidden pursuer. Most people like to do the job, being productive and their works is appreciates personally and financially, but then they leave the office to enjoy their personal lives with families and friends. Hey do not want to ‘work mentally’ in 24 hours a day.
If this unwritten role violates, there will a greater chance towards dissatisfaction among employees. If You create this kind of gap, You are the one who takes the risk
- How do your employees perceive your attitude to your work and to your personal life?
- How do you distinguish between ‘giving an example’ and ‘claiming’?
- How do you make a balance between your work and you personal life?
(Source : Reflections for Managers, B.N. Hyland & M.J. Yost)